You ever missed out on something fun as a kid because you disobeyed, or maybe you didn't trust what your parents were telling you. For example we tried and tried to get my preschooler into the pool at the beginning of the Summer. But he wouldn't get in. We went out there almost every other day and tried to coax him in. And each time when it was time to go inside he would cry and scream because he wanted to stay!
Tonight I was reading the recap of the Isrealites journey in the wilderness. They didn't trust what God had to say about it being a wonderful land. They didn't trust that he had their best interest at heart. And then when he decreed their punishment they were all the sudden eager and ready to go and in turn faced a horrible defeat.
I remember many times while growing up where I didn't want to obey my mom. I didn't want to clean my room or whatever it was and then she would tell me I was going to receive my punishment and I instantly changed my tune and thought that if I quickly ran and obeyed she would forget or dismiss my disobedience and forgo the punishment. My mother, however, inflicted the punishment due and I still had to go and complete the task I had failed to accomplish in the first place. Often, in prolonging the unpleasant task, I found my self missing out on something my sisters got to do because they had finished what they were asked to do when they were asked to do it.
Sometimes in life I have found God asks me to do something I don't want to do. Maybe it is because I don't feel comfortable doing it, maybe it doesn't flow with my plans, perhaps I am just plain scared to do it. But in choosing not to do it I not only face possible pain from my disobedience; I also face the knowledge that I missed out on the blessings that would have come from that plan God had for me. It could mean facing the last part of my life wandering in the dry and dusty desert hoping for a brighter future for my children's children instead of basking in a beautiful land being part of the most feared and blessed nation in all the world!
I for one pray every day that I do not miss out on the best God has for me and my family. It only took one angry moment for Moses to miss out on the beautiful land, he died after seeing the land from a far because of his disobedience and lack of confidence in God's leadership.
Pray for wisdom. Pray for guidance. Pray for discernment. Pray.
And move when God says move and wait when God says wait. Even if you don't see something coming there is a reason God is having you pause. So look both ways and listen and watch and don't go on until God says walk. And when he says walk, walk. Keep one foot in front of the other even when it gets rocky or foggy or hard. Walk on and keep looking ahead, as long as God is moving on. He has purpose and a plan. He has the direction and the destination. Just follow and let him lead you on.
No comments:
Post a Comment
One Note: If you don't want to read it, by all means don't read it. And don't leave me a comment about how much you didn't agree. Anyone else may comment if they wish to. Thanks for reading my blog and keeping up with me.